Crohn’s Disease: An Overview
Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory disorder that occurs in the bowels, specifically within the small intestine and colon. Broadly, it can have an effect on any part of the gastrointestinal tract that follows from the mouth to the anus. The effects of Crohn’s disease can vary from mild to extremely severe to the extent of life-threatening symptoms occurring.
Until now, there have not been any cures found for Crohn’s disease, although there are certain medications and therapeutic routines that can decrease the symptoms of this condition significantly. With the help of innovative treatments at the leading medical center in Sharjah, it is possible to live a life free of pain and concerns.
Causes And Symptoms
The exact cause behind Crohn’s disease is not clear enough but prominent factors that play a huge part in stimulating Crohn’s disease have been identified. Usually, your immune system, inherited genetics, and your surroundings play a part. Most often, it is believed that people who suffer from Crohn’s disease also have a relative who has been diagnosed with the same condition.
There are a few aspects that can increase the intensity of Crohn’s disease such as the duration since you were diagnosed, smoking, the spread of the disease, and age. You will not be able to spot the symptoms in the earlier stages of the disease because they gradually develop over time. Certain symptoms worsen and become unbearable for certain individuals, although this is rare. Indicators include:
- Diarrhea, cramps, and blood spots in the feces.
- Intense fever and fatigue.
- Loss of appetite and eventual weight loss.
Crohn’s disease can be cured using one of the following options that are available for your benefit:
- Medication: Crohn’s disease can be treated with an intense round of medication once the severity of the symptoms and condition has been determined.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs: This is the first option that people usually opt for when they are diagnosed with the disease. These drugs are typically taken when there are mild signs.
- Immunomodulators: If your immune system is in hyperactivity, then it can cause an inflammation which can eventually lead to Crohn’s disease. Immunomodulators are drugs that can restrict the inflammation and reduce the immune response of the body.
- Surgery: Opting for surgery is usually the last resort when other lifestyle changes do not take effect as needed. This can involve the removal of faulty parts of your digestive tract amongst many other procedures.
Choose The Right Diet
If you plan on treating Crohn’s disease through your diet, then it is very important to determine which food consumption is appropriate for you.
- The disease is capable of interfering with your body’s ability to break down fats which is why it is recommended that you limit your fat intake as much as possible.
- Dairy products are difficult for your body to digest when you have been diagnosed with the condition, so consume dairy in smaller portions if not avoid it altogether.
- Crohn’s disease can prevent your body from absorbing water properly, which can lead to dehydration so drinking a lot of water is a must.
IBO Medical Center in Sharjah offers all the treatments for Crohn’s disease, where you can begin your path to recovery with the expertise and experience of our team of specialized doctors.